Creating Your Personal Pitch
What It Is
Also known as an elevator speech this is a short description that you use to introduce yourself to people you meet. It should be 15 to 30 seconds long and clearly, confidently and concisely describe your qualifications and accomplishments that are relevant to the job or internship you want.
Why You Need It
This is a great way to professionally introduce yourself to people at networking events, career fairs, formal and informal occasions.
- Greeting/Who you are
- What you are looking for (job, internship, industry contacts)
- What you offer, your accomplishments
- Request for action
Current TCU Student
Hi, my name is John Smith, I am a junior at TCU in advertising public relations. I’m looking for an internship for the fall that would give me experience working in an advertising agency. This past year I developed an award winning campaign for the US Census Bureau that received national recognition from the Public Relations Society of America. I read on your website that you have an internship program in your company. How would you suggest I be considered for your intern program?
Hi, my name is John Smith, I recently graduated from TCU with a degree in advertising public relations. I’m looking for a full time position with an advertising agency. When I was in school I had two great internships with top advertising firms in Fort Worth and helped develop public relations plans for The Fort Worth Science Museum and the Fort Worth Zoo. I also created an award winning advertising campaign for the US Census Bureau that received national recognition from the Public Relations Society of America. I’ve read great things about your organizations and what you are doing in the nonprofit sector. What suggestions do you have for me to learn more about opportunities that might be a fit for me within your organization?
Hi, my name is John Smith. I’ve had over ten years experience in the advertising public relations industry. I’m looking to make a career move to work for an advertising agency that focuses on the health care industry. In my career I’ve developed over ten award winning campaigns and last year I won the nationally recognized ADDY award. I’ve read great things about your organizations and what you are doing in the health care sector. What suggestions do you have for me to learn more about opportunities that might be a fit for me within your organization?
- You must practice your speech enough so when you introduce yourself it rolls easily off the tongue and comes across as professional and confident.
- Practice by saying it out loud when driving in the car, getting ready in the morning or before attending a networking event.
- Ask family and friends for feedback after you develop your speech.
- Whenever possible obtain a business card from everyone you meet with. After you leave the event write down things you talked about with this person so you can reference the conversation at a later date.